Ontario is giving women more choice over their reproductive health by making Mifegymiso, a safe and effective medical alternative to surgical abortion, available at no cost.
Indira Naidoo-Harris, Minister of the Status of Women, on behalf of Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, was at Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre in Toronto today to announce that, as of August 10, 2017, women with a valid health card and prescription from their doctor or nurse practitioner will be able to get the drug for free at participating pharmacies across the province.
Mifegymiso is taken to medically terminate an early pregnancy. It is a safe, effective and non-invasive alternative to a surgical abortion that women can administer themselves. By making it available at no cost, Ontario is giving women more autonomy around their reproductive health, removing a financial barrier, and increasing equity of access to abortion — particularly in rural and remote areas.
Ontario is increasing access to care, reducing wait times and improving the patient experience through its Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care and OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare – protecting health care today and into the future.
Mifegymiso is a combination of two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, used to medically terminate early pregnancies (up to 49 days from the start of the last menstrual period).
It is considered a safe and effective alternative to a surgical abortion.
Mifegymiso is the only brand of the drug currently approved by Health Canada to be marketed in Canada.
Prescribers and pharmacists will have access to appropriate training.
- MP Jenny Kwan Op Ed: 回顧與展望
- Conservative Statement- Senator Beyak
- Free Prescriptions Meds for ppl under 25
- Ontario Reducing Carbon Footprint, Boosting Care at Hospitals
- Making Child Care More Attainable and Affordable
- 省府市府合作展可負擔住房 首推Thistletown混合收入社區
- Chin Lee Nomination
- Minister’s Statement Regarding the College Strike and Support for Students
- Mayor Frank Scarpitti on proposed changes to public health
- Ontario Seeking Input on Employment and Labour Law Rules
- Protecting a Woman’s Right to Choose
- Liberal 14 Year Scandals Highlight Reel Package
- Specialized Services for Human Trafficking Survivors in Newmarket
- Chinese national day flag raising
- Markham based anti-Chinese video game company
- Round Table on Tax Changes
- Premier Wynne’s statement on the passing of MP Arnold Chan